Saturday, May 10, 2008

School Of Rock Part 2: Seven Inches Of Pulsating Wax

We're still stuck in 1975, where my 8-year old ass is still into typical shit for my age: Matchbox and Hot Wheels, Legos, comic books, etc. But now I wanted records. And after a year or so of heavy radio listening, I had decided that my two favorite artists were:

Queen



and Elton John.



I played the shit out of the first two singles I got, "Killer Queen" and "Someone Saved My Life Tonight". I was wearing out the needle on the record player, and my sister, then 12, would order me out of our room to go fucking play with some cars already. Meanwhile, my parents were still pretty oblivious to our choices in music; even though they were well into their 30s, they were at this point in their lives "baby Christians", and it would be a few more years until they would focus their sights on just what the fuck we were listening to. Had they been more on the ball "spiritually" at that time however, I probably would have been labeled as a potential queer, and my 45s confiscated and destroyed.

At the same time I was also into novelty records from listening to Dr. Demento on the radio and after my second cousin (who I later found out was an uncle, another series in itself) gave me Allan Sherman's "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh". I gave the record player another workout with that one and my copies of "Kung Fu Fighting", "Mr. Jaws" and "Convoy":



Episode next: LPs! More singles packed together courtesy of K-Tel! Plus, I sneak listens of my sister's albums.

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Feral Mom said...

Has Mr. Feral ever told you about how his older brother's "intervention" into his developing sexuality? Apparently, he forced him to memorize the lyrics to Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic in order to insure he wouldn't turn out gay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home